Nymphs and their Ways - Covent Garden's Acis and Galatea by Handel


I still find it slightly astonishing that entire operas can be posted on YouTube.  But there they are, and as far as I can tell they are there with the blessing of the producers.  If they objected YouTube would have taken them down straight away.  I suppose the advertising revenue that they generate is a bonus, though I can't imagine it amounts to very much.  Still the economics of opera has never made any more sense than the plots. But it does mean that what used to be the ultimate in elitist entertainment is now available for anyone. In the comfort of their own home.  Or you can even watch opera on your phone while wandering about.  I wonder if this ready supply will entice people who might not otherwise have considered it to give it a go?  I'd like to think so.

Continue reading at http://historybooksreview.co.uk/acis-and-galatea-handel/